Life Lessons: Compliments

Life Lessons: Compliments

I wore something a bit nice for work yesterday and I’ll tell you for why, I was going out with some friends after work and wanted to look mildly presentable. So I whacked out one of my beaut dresses which is strictly for “out of work” only.

I felt rather sassy and something wonderful happened…. I got 3 compliments from 3 different people in my team (on separate occasions I hasten to add). The next thing isn’t so wonderful, I deflected them all, EVERY SINGLE BLOODY ONE! Here’s what I said:

Compliment 1 – Oh this, I’m only wearing it because nothing else fits.

Compliment 2 – This has been demoted to workwear from weekend wear, because guess what? Nothing else fits.

Compliment 3 – I’m only wearing this because I still haven’t washed anything from my holiday.

All of those are lies, most of my work outfits do fit, the beautiful dress is most definitely not demoted to work wear and true that I haven’t washed all that much from holiday, but I’m hardly going to be strutting around in a bloody tassel bikini and lacy shorts in the office am I?! And when I thought about it, the reason I said all of those things is because I couldn’t just take a flipping compliment, I had to get all awkward and weird and apologetic about it….. I’m pretty sure “thanks” would have been a better response.

It made me think about how we are so quick to deflect or object to somebody saying something nice and us Brits especially don’t seem to know how to take a compliment. People wouldn’t compliment you if they didn’t mean it. If they say your eyes are beautiful and sparkly, they mean it, if they say your dress is wonderful, they mean it, if they say you are a kind little soul, they bloody mean it. So you (and I) need to start listening to these compliments, because if we do that god knows what effect it will have on our confidence and body positivity!

Do me a favour…. next time someone compliments you, say thanks!

FYI – this is said dress!

Share:

12 Comments

1. Ian :-)
    July 27, 2017 / 6:03 pm

You know what Ashleigh, you are so right, your eyes are beautiful and sparkly!!!!

2. Lucie
    November 10, 2017 / 8:19 pm

Yaaas! Thank you for reminding me this one. However, you look beatufil in this dress.

Lucie |www.thequietmind.eu

• Ashleigh
      Author
      November 10, 2017 / 8:28 pm

Thanks lucie, I do feel a bit sassy in it…. and it has pockets, WHAT MORE COULD I WANT

3. November 10, 2017 / 8:26 pm

Love this! I always have to say thanks when I get a compliment because it just feels rude not to. Great post x

• Ashleigh
      Author
      November 10, 2017 / 8:28 pm

I’m really trying not to deflect it… I find it so hard though

4. November 10, 2017 / 8:45 pm

I really loved this post! There’s absolutely nothing wrong with dressing up and receiving compliments! Boosting each other’s confidence is such a wonderful thing to do! And you do look lovely in this dress x

• Ashleigh
      Author
      November 10, 2017 / 9:23 pm

Thank you so much, I completely agree. I love complimenting people but just struggle receiving them xx

5. November 10, 2017 / 9:07 pm

What a gorgeous dress! And don’t you dare deflect the compliment! haha. I totally agree, I used to always deflect compliments but haven’t been recently! Yay! You deserved every one of those compliments, so try super hard to accept them next time!x

6. November 10, 2017 / 9:38 pm

That dress looks wonderful on you! I get what you mean I find it so hard to take compliments in person but I’m fine online haha!

7. November 10, 2017 / 11:09 pm

I love the dress! I am from Germany living in the UK and have definitely noticed that there’s a big culture of people aren’t very good at taking compliments and often make jokes that make fun of themselves or are self-derogatory. It is good to be humble but not to get down on ourselves I think 🙂

• Ashleigh
      Author
      November 10, 2017 / 11:17 pm

It’s really interesting to get your perspective considering your heritage. I suppose I find it hard to believe that everyone isn’t the same…. I’m definitely working on trying to be more receptive to compliments xx

talk to me