Now things are getting a bit more real and people actually know that I’m doing something stupidly crazy and leaving everything I know behind and jetting off to Oz (read more about that here) people automatically ask what my ‘plans’ are. After a few slippery seconds of trying to come up with an answer in my head I settle on the truth….. “I haven’t really got any plans” or “plans, pfffft, I will just go where the wind takes me” or “yehhhh it seems a bit too much like hard work to do all that research”.
It has got me thinking, maybe without actually writing a plan or itinerary (because that’s for adults) I’d write a bucket list of all the things I’d love to do or achieve in the wonderful land of Oz, yes that is a Wizard of Oz reference.
Some of the things are very specific and some very basic bitch because I don’t actually know that much about Australia and haven’t done much research, because I’m me.
As I go along I may come back and update this bad boy, if things come up that I want to experience/explore.
- Go surfing on the gold coast
- Spend some time in the outback
- Stay in a hostel – When I went to Thailand we had grand plans of staying in hostels and making loads of friends whilst playing beer pong, however we just ended up staying in really expensive hotels because we were being ballers.
- Work on a farm – ideally earning lots of money that I can then use to travel, whilst getting free accommodation with lots of like minded travellers who have loads of bants.
- Explore the jungle
- Do a bit of sight seeing in Sydney – the opera house is of course a must
- Visit penguin island – Home to approximately 1200 of the silky monochrome buggers, need I say any more?
- Great Barrier Reef – Snorkelling or potentially scuba diving (although it scares the shit out of me) is a must
- Work in a bar – because I’m a traveller cliche ok?
- Visit Ayres Rock – word on the street is you will see the most amazing sunrises
- Drink wine – because A) I like wine a lot B) Australia are pretty good at making wine C) I didn’t choose the wine life, it chose me
- Please tell me that having a shrimp on the barbie is actually a thing, because it’s the sole reason I’m going
- Visit Fraser Island
- Meet a koala, kangaroo, wombat and wallaby and somehow become a famous animal whisperer and professional animal photographer.
- Never ever ever meet an Australian spider
- Drive the Great Ocean Road – preferably in some beaten up camper van that is orange or another colour as ridiculously garish.
- Visit Byron Bay – Not for any reason other than people have said I will love it!
- watch many a sunrise
- watch many a sunset
- Visit Kangaroo Island
- Sail the Whitsundays – or at least visit them
- Most of all, do some soul searching
What is a must for whilst I’m travelling Oz….. let me know on the blog, Instagram, Facey or Twitter, I’m ready and waiting for ya.