It’s mental health awareness week and as always I wanted to throw in my tuppance on the subject, hopefully to help look for some positives (without any intention of being insensitive or trivialising how debilitating it can be), raise awareness and if I can write something relatable and make people realise they are not alone I’ll be a fucking happy little chappy.
I’ve had some absolutely bloody shitty awful times in my life when struggling to get out of bed or see the positives in each day has been the only thing I can focus on, but I’m here, I’ve come out the other side and fuck me I’m living right now.
I’ve come to realise in the 10 weeks I’ve been in oz (not sure I’ve mentioned that before). That if you don’t like something about your life, you and only you can change it and MUST change it.
I spent last year existing not thriving. Everything was good. Good job, good social life, good experiences, nice little flat. But I realised I was missing something and craving something better, which I knew was out there.
Since quitting my job and traveling to oz I’ve been the happiest little soul I’ve ever been and I’m not quite sure what it is but I’m hella thankful for it. I’ve had a few sad Sally days and felt so bleughhh I wanted to stay in bed all day, so I did! I let the sadness happen knowing that maybe in a few hours or a few days I would be okay again. I had the strength inside me to know I’ve got through it before and I could again.
So I thought I’d note down a few things that may have contributed to my new found happiness and it might just be worth giving them a go to see if it may help you too.
- Get some fresh air, go for a walk and really absorb your surroundings. The smell of the grass, the sun in the sky, flowers, animals. Anything that makes you remember how lucky you are to walk on this planet.
- Write a gratitude diary. Get yourself a sexy new notebook and write down as many things you can think of that you’re grateful for each day. It could be something as small as seeing a doggo or something simple like sunshine.
- Do what really makes you happy. If you want to eat dominos EAT THE GOD DAMN PIZZA. But also fill yourself with delicious fruit and sexy salads, because they also make you feel hella good.
- Listen to some real good music that fills you with joy, really, really loudly and have a good ole dance.
- Wake up early, watch the sunrise and make the most of the day. Then watch the sunset too.
- Do something you love, buy some flowers, indulge in a bit of retail therapy or plan an exciting trip or adventure to get you all excited.
- Remember that every day is a new day and the feelings will pass.
Here’s to all of us talking, sharing our experiences and working towards feeling happier and healthier and beating the stigma surrounding mental health.