As some of you may know, I embarked on a momentous task on the 1st October when I decided to go Sober for October and not drink for the whole month. I realised it would be a challenge and that sort of made me more determined to succeed. Unfortunately October has 31 days, not ideal and also its a 5 weekend month *sobs into wine glass, oh wait, coffee mug*.
Now here I am 5 days before the finish line and debating whether I can actually go another day of this unfulfilled awfulness without drinking a New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc with a gin and slimline for dessert. I will obviously (I hope) make it to Tuesday, but I can categorically say I will never, ever, ever, EVER go a month without drinking again…. unless I ever get anyone to impregnate me I suppose. So lets break it down to why I love that sweet taste of alcohol and why it is good for me:
- It’s nice to know that if I have had a shitty day (most days) that I can come home and have a glass of wine, or Prosecco or a gin, if I want to. Sometimes I don’t actually end up having a drink, but if I want to, I can.
- I laugh about the fact I am a pretty miserable person on a day to day basis, but not being able to drink has somehow made me even more moody….. not ideal.
- I haven’t lost any weight, not even 1 measly lb. Come on, for the sort of sacrifice I’ve made I’d expected to have lost at least 4.5 stone. This leads to be believe I must be eating more to fill the void that a lovely pint of cider and black usually fills.
- I don’t have any more energy – I thought I would be galloping into the office at 7:30am, ready to take on the day like a boss, feeling on top of the world, however I have not. I have just bumbled along like usual (obvs still being a great employee, in case anyone official is reading this) not being that extra bit efficient that I thought I would be.
- I haven’t been able to have a glass of wine when I go out for lunch, or with a nice dinner I’ve cooked. I can’t pop down the pub for a cider or have a 2 for 1 cocktail on a Saturday night and come on, there is only so much diet coke you can drink right?! It’s sociable to have a little drink and I like to be sociable.
All in all I like alcohol and it likes me too. It is good for my soul and you need those little pleasures in life and bloody hell you only live once, if you want to drink the gin and tonic, drink the bloody gin and tonic. However, I think I may have learnt something….. maybe, just maybe I don’t need to get really, really drunk to have a good time, but whether I can resist is another story….. we will see what happens when the first weekend in November arrives!
Just to conclude I am not advocating that everyone should go out and get drunk all the time and blame it on me, I’m just saying I think it makes me a better person, so I’m gonna keep enjoying it!